If you have read any of my other blog posts then you know the word that is most used in the relation to Happiness is Perspective. Rain is generally and metaphorically equated with sadness,depression, unhappiness, do a quick google search and all kinds of examples are presented .
Poor little Eeyore, always was challenged in finding his happiness , a clear example of rain used to express unhappiness, if you want to see it in another way look at the effect it has on Pooh to see his friend in such distress !
Karen Carpenter says it all in “Rainy Days and Mondays”. Regardless of if this is your type of music or not I think the tone and lyrics of the song are quite fitting, so somber as to be beautiful
Rain has kind of a special ability to make finding my personal happiness challenging, I enjoy being outdoors, I thrive on sunny warm days ! But with a bit of change in perspective, some distraction and knowing the things that are my happiness triggers, I can generally maintain happiness in both the literal and metaphorical storms.
I’ve put together a list of things I do on rainy days to boost my happiness. This blog is always from my personal perspective, so something of a quick disclaimer, what works for me may not work for you, my goal in writing this blog is to help you find your personal happiness. The key word in that last sentence is “personal”, happiness takes work and in your journey you should become more in touch with yourself, more aware of what works for you. It is my sincere hope you will apply what you learn about yourself to other aspects beyond happiness specifically because every single element of our lives feeds or detracts from happiness 🙂
So okay, now for the list, these are my personal happiness generators, perhaps one or more will work or inspire your happiness as well 🙂
- Music- Upbeat or something with a positive memory attached can be the fastest, most effective, least expensive way to boost happiness, music that was playing during your happiest memories can bring those feelings right back and as far as I know that never goes away ! If you haven’t experienced some of the newer high quality headphones I highly suggest investing in a set for a quick happiness boost wherever you find yourself 🙂 Sometimes it’s fun to listen to music that is not at all on the serious side , the one above for instance pretty much never fails me!
- Coloring Books – Adult coloring books are all the rage right now, honestly even before it was popular I would go to the dollar store and purchase kids coloring books when my happiness level would wane, I honestly can’t tell you what about the experience specifically induces happiness but whether it be the colors, the distraction, or completing something, just something about this experience that always brings a smile to my face. The picture at the top of this post is a page out of a coloring book that I did yesterday, as you can see no artistic ability is necessary and it is quite fun !
- A special or unique warm beverage- I’m not talking Starbucks or any beverage imp-articular, just something beyond my basic cup of coffee leaves me with a happy feeling and makes me feel a little pampered! Whether it be a flavored coffee or hot chocolate with maybe some mint chocolate, whip cream , maybe a drizzle of caramel, sprinkles, it doesn’t matter so much what it is just that it makes me feel pampered. Skipping the coffee shop and making my special treat at home feels like a further happiness booster because I needn’t go anywhere in the rain.
- Indoor projects – Having my home clean and organised is a major source of happiness! Clutter or objects in your home that don’t bring you happiness are big time happiness killers, I get happiness from re-imagining spaces, de-cluttering or just cleaning house in general kicks up my happiness.
- A warm bubble bath- Having the time and ability to soak in a warm tub is amazing, throw in a good book, some aroma therapy, perhaps some Epsom salt and it is amazing what a wonderful warm bath can do for my happiness level. Building on idea #4 , create a space in your bathroom that speaks to you, clean and uncluttered at the very least !
- Audio Books – Something about being read to that I find very comforting and it feels almost luxurious to sit back in soft casual comfort while a book is being read, close your eyes and just get totally immersed,this is one of my favorites.
- Indoor plants – I don’t have a particularly green thumb but I seriously enjoy green welcoming plants in my home, on rainy days I particularly enjoy taking stock of the plants I have ! As we go through our lives its normal for things to become part of our lives, this includes negative things. Plants can be either a very subtle but powerful influence of happiness or unhappiness. I like to tend to my plants on rainy days imp-articular , are they healthy, are they alive? A dead or unattractive struggling plant will do nothing for your happiness and you see it regularly, you may just not realize you see or it or the impact it has on your happiness. Cut or pull out dead leaves etc , if the plant is particularly sad looking feel free to eliminate it from your space entirely. Things within our homes that don’t promote healthy or attractive images are not promoting happiness!
- Writing down your thoughts or ideas – I’ll be really honest , I don’t look at the stats or what posts on my blog do better than others, the truth is I just enjoy writing this, it makes me happy! Certainly a blog isn’t for everybody, but that doesn’t mean you can’t write down your thoughts or ideas, I imagine a journal or any kind of writing would have the same happiness boosters, I just took it one step further and chose to share it in the hopes that somebody, anybody, found happiness in it too 🙂
- My pets – I have 3 dogs, nothing wrong with other types of pets, I have fish too but something a little more pleasing and soothing about a warm dog that thinks you’re the best thing ever that really boosts my happiness level 🙂
- Napping – A 30 minute or even an hours nap can really boost my happiness , kind of a reset on the day, a do over, a special treat or spoiling of yourself … A word of caution though, if you find yourself napping too much or using it as a coping mechanism it might be time to schedule an appointment with your doctor just to make sure your health is at an optimum, nothing will mess with your happiness in quite the way your physical or mental health can.
These are some of my rainy day coping mechanisms , there are of course many others you might find beneficial , what are your rainy day coping activities ?
Find your Happiness , Share Your Happiness !
#findyourhappiness #shareyourhappiness #happy #happiness #share #rainyday